The preparation may vary by analysis. If necessary, ask the specific lab or doctor about the analysis.
- The stools are collected into a clean container.
- Avoid getting urine or toilet water into the container.
- Make a sample of 1-2 cm in diameter (2–4 g) with a spoon from the lid of the container and place the sample with the spoon into the container. The container can be acquired from your doctor.
- Take the sample from different parts of the stool. If there is mucus and blood in the stool, take your sample from these spots.
- Write legibly the sample giver’s personal identification number, first and last name, date and time of sampling on the container.